Yes, I’m willing to go to Mexico for the next few months. Here’s why it’s a good idea.

I’m a U.S. citizen and I’m willing to leave the country for the next few months to be with my family in Mexico City. I’ve been to Mexico in the past, but I have no family there.

I’m on the fence about going now, because of the current diplomatic tensions between the United States and Mexico and because I hope to return to my home country of the United States.

I have gone across the border to visit the country I was born in. I have planned to do that every few years.

Is there any possibility that Mexico will not permit me to come into their country because of the current tensions? It seems logical that Mexico would not allow me to come across because I’m a U.S. citizen, but I really don’t want to create a scene. Please help.

Hi Cindy,

If you’re planning to come back to the United States, your destination is most definitely Mexico.

At least until the border walls, demilitarized zones and steps are taken to protect United States citizens crossing the border.

As for your other three cities you mention, there are three relatively easy ways to cross the border into Mexico right now.

The easiest is the Mexico border crossing into El Paso from Laredo, Texas. This border crossing is managed by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). For a fee, you can choose between male and female as a guardian when you enter the country. You cannot use a passport. Once you show a photocopy of a U.S. government-issued ID, you can enter the country.

The Mexican government manages crossings through one of the major border crossings. Your security concerns should be a major factor in deciding when you cross into Mexico, but it doesn’t seem like you need to worry about it right now. The crossing may have noticed that you don’t have a government-issued ID and asked to verify your identity. If you do come across with an ID and your passport, you can pass customs and travel back into the United States.

The next step would be traveling through Mexico City, which you can do easily. During the last two months of the year, you’ll need an I-407 visa from Mexico, which is valid for 90 days at a time. To obtain one, you must show a passport, I-496 I-504 form or I-538 form, it says. Upon the visa’s arrival, you need to go to a consular registration station where your passport will be verified. You can choose an embassy to visit, but not a consulate.

In either case, you may be able to pass through customs and travel back into the United States, but only if you travel with an I-407 visa, I-538 or I-496.

To apply for a non-immigrant visa, you must meet some very specific requirements. These restrictions are spelled out in the United States embassy in Mexico’s website, which provides further details for some visa types.

Send your questions to [email protected]

Leave a Comment